Communities and clubs contain an eclectic mix of running characters. After all, variety is the spice of life. Recognise anyone/yourself here?
- Mr Gadget: has all the tech and accessories. If you can’t be bothered to read instruction manuals or online reviews, he’s your shortcut.
- Where’s Wally? Lost. Takes every possible wrong turn and knows no landmarks or street names. Confuses left with right.
- Dark horse: modest and unassuming. Turns up and runs very fast.
- Fashionista type A: looking cool and running well.
- Fashionista type B: all the gear, no idea.
- Secret squirrel: runs races and events under the radar, then modestly posts their results.
- The mumsy one: caring and kind. Makes sure everyone is accounted for and remembers birthdays.
- Star baker: makes the goodies – and they are good.
- The rested one: spends more time in physio than running and suffers from unpronounceable conditions.
- The socialite: organises the get togethers. Loves a drink (possibly more than running).
- The multia media one: takes selfies, group shots, compositions of medals, trainers etc. Uploads, tags and tweets in a nanosecond.
- The bi-polar: I hate running! I love running!
- The ultra: happily takes on 100km. Up a mountain. In the desert.
- The determined one: heads out ludicrously early or late in all weathers and darkness, or runs to a run just to fit it all in.
- The glow-worm: owns flashing lights, hi-vis, head torch and neon socks. And lots of batteries.
- The recruiter: makes a beeline for anyone who might want to join in, total strangers included.
- The tuckshop: has a ready supply of gels, sweets, energy bars, chewing gum and drinks.
- The shopaholic: addicted to buying trainers and kit. Knows all the sales, discount codes and current stock levels.
- The one in charge: carries a clipboard, phone, spares of everything, answers all the questions and knows The Plan.
- The serial racer: will need a walk-in wardrobe just for their medals.
- The humble one: does not realise how far they’ve come and what they’ve achieved. More back-patting required 🙂
- The blowout: says they are coming out for a run…
Watch out for more personas coming soon!
Disclaimer: any similarities to actual living persons is probably un-coincidental, and intended to be taken lightheartedly. Don’t be ‘the boring one’.